Spectacled bear in Chester Zoo, UK (by Nigel’s Europe 2)
The following is a list of all known captive bears in the United Kingdom (for further information please see the end of the list):
American black bear:
- Woburn Safari Park – 10 bears: 4 males and 6 females. 13 acre enclosure which is shared with three timber wolves.
TOTAL FOR SPECIES: 10 bears (4 males and 6 females)
Andean (spectacled) bear:
- Belfast Zoo, Belfast, Northern Ireland – 3 bears: 1 male (Spook) and 2 females (Alice and Lola). Spook was born in the Zoo in July 1994 and Lola was born in the Zoo in February 2016; Spook and Alice are her parents.
- Chester Zoo – 3 bears: 1 male (Bernard or “Bernie”, 6 years old) and 2 females (Lima and Madidi). Madidi was born in the Zoo in 2017; Bernard and Lima are her parents.
- Jersey Zoo, Trinity, Jersey – 3 bears: 2 males (Quechua or “Chiu” aged 7 and Raymi) and 1 female (Bahia). Raymi was born in the Zoo on 3 January 2016; Quechua and Bahia are her parents.
- Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm, Wraxall, Bristol – 2 bears, both males (Sonco and Tupa). The bears are siblings and occupy 2 acre landscaped and enriched habitat created in 2016.
- Port Lympne Reserve, Lympne, Hythe, Kent – 2 bears: 1 male (Oberon) and 1 female (Rina).
- South Lakes Safari Zoo, Lindal in Furness, Ulverston, Cumbria – 3 bears: 1 male (Snoopy) and 2 females (Zepita and Mona). Snoopy was born on 12 January 1996 in Tierpark, Berlin. Zepita was born 24 December 1999 in Zurich Zoo and Mona 17 December 1999 in Paris Zoo.
TOTAL FOR SPECIES: 16 bears (8 males and 8 females)
Asiatic black bear:
- Dudley Zoo, Dudley, West Midlands – 1 bear: Inca (female) at 38 years old believed to be the oldest Asiatic black bear in captivity and probably in the world.
- Wingham Wildlife Park, Wingham, Kent – 2 bears: 1 male (Aroon) and 1 female (Mika).
TOTAL FOR SPECIES: 3 bears (1 male and 2 females)
Brown bear (Eurasian [European] brown bear):
- Camperdown Wildlife Centre, Dundee – 3 bears: 1 male (Brumm) and 2 females (Brumma and Maja). All three are siblings.
- Dartmoor Zoo, Sparkwell, Devon – 1 bear: Hayley (female)
- Five Sisters Zoo Park, Polbeth, West Lothian – 4 bears: 1 male and 3 females. Females Carmen and Suzy were rescued from a German circus. Henk (male) and Eso (female) are siblings and were rescued from a roadside restaurant in Albania.
- Heythrop Zoo (aka “Amazing Animals), Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire: Heythrop Zoo is a private animal training centre not usually open to the general public although there are occasional open days. Details not yet known, although Amazing Animals did exhibit three European brown bear cubs at an Oxfordshire show in 2014.
- Scottish Deer Centre, Cupar, Fife – 2 bears: 1 male Loki) and 1 female (Nelly).
- Welsh Mountain Zoo, Colwyn Bay, Conwy – 2 bears, both female. They are siblings.
- Wildwood Trust, Herne Common, Kent – 2 bears, both males. Gosho and Milcho were rescued in 2014 from a breeding centre in Bulgaria. They now occupy a thee quarter of an acre woodland enclosure.
- ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, Dunstable, Bedfordshire – 4 bears, all females. Wellington, Snövit (Snow White), Askungen (Cinderella) and Törnrosa (Sleeping Beauty). Wellington is a long-time resident of the zoo, the other three bears were born at Kolmarden Zoo in Sweden and arrived at Whipsnade in November 2017.
Brown bear (Ussuri (Amur) brown bear):
- Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Doncaster, South Yorkshire – 3 bears: 2 male (Riku and Kai) and 1 female (Hanako). All three bears were transferred from an unsuitable Japanese facility in early August 2018. They are the first residents of the Park’s Rehabilitation Centre. Riku and Kai are 17 year old siblings and Hanako is 27 years old. A fourth bear, 27 year old male Amur, was transferred but subsequently was euthanized in late August 2018 as he was suffering from chronic degenerative diseases.
TOTAL FOR SPECIES: 21 bears (7 males and 14 females) (no figures included for Wildwood Trust)
- Edinburgh Zoo – 2 bears: 1 male and 1 female. The female is Tian Tian (Sweetie) and the male Yang Guang (Sunshine). They are kept in two separate enclosures and are on loan from China.
TOTAL FOR SPECIES: 2 bears (1 male and 1 female)
- RZSS Highland Wildlife Park, Kincraig, Kingussie, Highland – 4 bears: 3 males (Walker, Arctos and Hamish) 1 female (Victoria). Victoria is Hamish’s mother; Hamish was born in December 2017.
- Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Doncaster, South Yorkshire – 4 bears, all males (Nissan, Nobby, Pixel and Victor). In November 2018 a further male (Tongki, aged 24) is due to be transferred to the Park from Everland Zoo in South Korea.
TOTAL FOR SPECIES: 8 bears (7 males and 1 female)
- ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, Dunstable, Bedfordshire – 2 bears: 1 male (Columbo, aged 19) and 1 female (Ursula, aged 16).
TOTAL FOR SPECIES: 2 bears (1 male and 1 female)
Sun bear (Malayan sun bear):
- Belfast Zoo, Belfast, Northern Ireland – 2 bears: 1 male (Indera born 2010) and 1 female (Bora).
- Chester Zoo – 3 bears: 1 male (Toni) and 1 female (Milli) plus one female cub (Kyra) born in 2018. The two adults are rescue bears and the cub’s parents.
- Colchester Zoo, Colchester, Essex – 2 bears: 1 male (Jo-Jo) and 1 female (Srey Ya). The bears are housed in a purpose-built exhibit “Bears of the Rising Sun” and came to the Zoo via Cambodia where they had been confiscated by the Anti-Poaching Patrol.
- Edinburgh Zoo, Edinburgh, Lothian – 2 bears, both makes (Somnang and Rotuna). Both born in 2003 they arrived at the Zoo in 2010.
TOTAL FOR SPECIES: 9 bears (5 males and 4 females)
We believe the above list to be full and comprehensive (excluding the Wild wood Trust as noted) but if you spot any errors or have news of any changes please let us know. We will add more information about the individual bears, their histories and living conditions as our research progresses. Our intention is to publish a separate page for each of the facilities which is listed above with additional information, photographs, videos and links.
Page updated 28 September 2018