Name: Anana (female)
Born: 12 December 2000 in Hogle Zoo, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Died: 8 February 2021 in Detroit Zoo, Michigan, USA
Mother: Chinook (deceased)
Father: Andy (deceased)
Siblings: Anana was the last of ten cubs born to Chinook.
History of captivity:
- Born in captivity 12 December 2000 in Hogle Zoo, Salt Lake City, Utah, US
- Transferred to Buffalo Zoo, New York, USA 18 March 2002
- Transferred to Brookfield Zoo, Chicago, Illinois, USA 9 January 2013
- Returned to Buffalo Zoo 8 September 2015
- Transferred to Cincinnati Zoo 22 November 2016
- Arrived at Detroit Zoo on or shortly after 27 January 2020
- Anana was killed by a male bear in Detroit Zoo on 8 February 2021 (see “Additional Information” below).
Progeny: Luna (female) born 27 November 2012.
When Anana was transferred to Cincinnati Zoo it was hoped that she would breed with the zoo’s male polar bear, Little One. This did not happen despite hopes to the contrary; see “Could Cincinnati Zoo’s “Anana” the polar bear be pregnant?” (published 2 November 2019). (Opens in new window.)
On 23 January 2020 it was announced that Anana would be going to Detroit Zoo for further breeding attempts (click here for news story – opens in new window). Her arrival is reported here (opens in new window).
Anana was killed by male bear Nuka at Detroit Zoo on 8 February 2021 during a breeding attempt. More information here.
The video of Anana below was published by Cincinnati Zoo on 30 May 2019.